Ocean in a Drop
India’s invisible majority are poor yet literate in their own traditions and increasingly online. Ocean in a Drop is a film about these emergent online populations told by rural women and children, artisans and entrepreneurs. Shot in 2015 the filmmakers visited fourteen villages throughout nine districts across Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Bihar.
A film by Andrew Garton in collaboration with the Digital Empowerment Foundation and INOMY Media and in association with the Internet Society, Australia India Institute and the Association for Progressive Communications. Ocean in a Drop is a production of Secession/Films.
Production commenced January 2015. Ocean in a Drop was completed February 2017. The film is accompanied by the book, Right to Know – India’s internet avantgarde, a soundtrack album. An eight-part web series is in post-production awaiting finance towards its completion.
Choose to watch Ocean in a Drop now, hire or purchase a digital copy for a modest fee.
- WATCH Ocean in a Drop – Creative Commons licensed stream or shareable download
- RENT Ocean in a Drop – Vimeo VoD
- PURCHASE Ocean in a Drop
- RENT on GuideDoc
All proceeds from rental and purchase of this film go towards the development of The Story of Making – artisan hands of India, a new film by Andrew Garton in collaboration with Ammachi labs, Amritapuri, Kerala.
- 9-11 Feb 2019 – Brahmaputra Literary Festival, Assam, India
- Jan 2019 – Assam Documentary Festival, India [TBC]
- 26 May 2018 – DD1, national television broadcast, India
- 18 Dec 2017 – Chennai International Film Festival, India
- 16 Dec 2017 – 15 Years of DEF, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi, India
- 19 Jul 2017 – WordFest, Clayton, Melbourne, Australia
- 18 Jun 2017 – St Andrews Community Hall, Victoria, Australia (Preview screening)
- Screening of Ocean in a Drop in India (Australian High Commission, New Delhi, Media Release, 20 December 2017) [Text]
- Australian Movie Director Andrew Garton @ 15th Chennai International Film Festival (CineInfotv.com, Chennai)
- Australian filmmaker takes digital learning to rural tribes (DT Next, Daily Thanthi, 20 December 2017) [Text]
- We are living in scary times (Chennai, Times of New India, 20 December 2017) [Text]
- Plug into the web with caution (New Delhi, The Pioneer, 18 December 2017) [Text]
- Afternoon Adda interviews the Director (podcast)
- We Are Moving Stories Interviews the Director
- Writer / Director – Andrew Garton
- Director of Photography – Jary Nemo
- Second unit camera – Rohit Dhall
- Design – Cathy Chen
- Media and Translations – Udita Chaturvedi
- Translator – Ravi Guria
- Download the Media Kit [PDF 2 MB]
- Download the Book [PDF 2MB] – Right to Know – India’s internet Avant-garde.Published by the Digital Empowerment Foundation and the Australia India Institute
- Purchase the Soundtrack – Music, field recordings and soundscapes.
- Ocean in a Drop on Facebook
- Ocean in a Drop on Secession Films
- Small (Up to 75 people): $210 + shipping
- Large (Over 75 people): $315 + shipping
- Director’s appearance: Fee and travel costs available on request